Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's finally winter here

It is a lot colder in Hannover than in St Paul. The temperature is around -8 right now, which sounds really cold until I realize that's in Celsius. (Just like I think for a minute I've lost tons of weight, until I realize it's in kilograms). In Farenheit it's something like 16 or 17 degrees. At least the sun is shining.

The high today back home is 41. This is not what I signed up for! I was planning on very mild winters here and very cold and snowy winters back home so I could gloat a little.

Winter is different when you don't have a car. We have to be out in it whether we want to or not, because anywhere we go is on foot or by bike or at least walking to a train or a bus. There's no mad dash to the garage and flipping on the heated seats in the car (Ok, I miss those a little. My bike seat is definitely not heated).

Even though I do miss snow, getting around on the bike is significantly easier when the sidewalks are dry. So I don't really resent this cold snap. There's sunshine in the living room, and I even enjoyed pulling out my warmest hat and my ski gloves. I just resent that  it's not cold everywhere else, so we could all be in it together, right? Somehow I think everyone in the Twin Cities disagrees with me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.