Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Miniatur Wunderland - Hamburg

Just to clarify, my title does not mean that Hamburg IS a miniature wonderland. Everything there is normal-sized, at least as far as I could tell. Hamburg HAS a miniature wonderland, and we visited there last weekend.

After leaving Berlin, we continued our little tour of big German cities and went to visit Dizzy and Sonja in Hamburg for the weekend. After wandering around visiting bars throughout the city on Friday, we had a lazy morning Saturday and then went to Miniatur Wunderland.

It is basically a museum of model trains, cars, planes, people, buildings and all kinds of moving parts. They are designed to look like various countries in Europe, and there's even a USA section with some wild west scenes. There is an airport with planes that take off and land, and a Scandinavian harbor scene with boats sailing on water. If you look closely enough, you can make out all kinds of details - a kids' birthday party, a crime scene, cows scuba diving, and the occasional R rated romantic encounter.

I can imagine my nephews leaning over the railings, mouths hanging open, fascinated by all the trains, pushing buttons to make the little scenes move. Of course, there were plenty of grown men doing that too.

Here are some photos to give  you a better idea.


Pumpkin patch


Dead body in a river

The command center

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.