Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bike taxi - the conclusion

This morning Brian and I had our appointment at the foreigner's office. We did all the paperwork for our renewed visas, so they won't kick us out of Germany for at least another year.

I will not, unfortunately, be able to have a career as the first foreign female bike taxi driver in town. My residence permit does not allow me to be self employed. Could I try to be an illegal foreign female bike taxi driver? Perhaps, but in a country of rule-followers I have a feeling that it's not easy to work illegally. Plus, driving a bike taxi is not really something that's worth being deported over. If I'm going to be deported, I'd rather it be for some better reason, one that really counts... suggestions are welcome.

I do have to remind myself that I fumbled my way through two interviews in German and two test drives, and the people were still willing to hire me. So that might be some kind of success. Though as I was walking home from the bus stop today I realized I had told a lady getting on with her stroller that I was about to "get up" rather than "get off". Oops. That will keep me humble.

Part of me really wanted to drive the bike taxi, for a little fun, to practice speaking German, learn my way around the city, show I could do it, and make some cash. Part of me was also really scared, for mostly the same reasons. Living in Germany has made me do a lot of things that I find scary because they are thousands of miles out of my comfort zone. You know that though, since it's mostly what I write about in this blog.
I guess this time the government made that decision for me and my comfort zone will remain intact for a little while... unless I start talking to people on buses again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.