Monday, September 3, 2012

Maschsee Hannover Triathlon

Yesterday I competed in my first German triathlon.

This was not my first rodeo, or triathlon as the case may be (I don't think they have rodeos in Germany, but I'm not sure. It sounds like something that could happen in Bavaria which is like the Texas of Germany).
 I've done a couple of them each summer for the last 8 or 9 years, but I didn't know if the German race would be like the ones I've done in the U.S. I had visions of biking against people wearing scarves and sipping bubbly water as they pedal along. It turned out to be more like an American triathlon that I expected... the same rules, the same distances, no scarves, and a lot of spandex. I just didn't understand most of the chatter from the other athletes. If someone talked to me during the race, I sort of nodded and kept moving. I probably would have done the same if they were speaking English. I wasn't out there to be chatty, anyway. 

Why do I do triathlons? A chance to be competitive I guess. I like to beat people, and I like the idea of being a well-rounded athlete, in sports that do not involve throwing and catching anything.
Brian and I have joked in the past that white people made up the triathlon so there was a sport they could be really good at.  There is a certain demographic - 25 to 45, white, educated people with enough money to afford some nice equipment. I guess I fit that demographic, even though the Austerity Plan might temporarily interfere with any plans to buy new gear. Of course, most German people I've met fit that demographic too. If you add that to the fact that most people ride bikes everywhere, and Hannover residents are big fans of spandex clothing, and this should be like the triathlon capital of the world.

Our race was in and around the Maschsee, which is the lake in the middle of town.The Maschsee is home to the biggest carp I have ever seen. They might be the descendents of some sort of Nazi mutant fish experiment. I was afraid one of them might latch on and pull me into the depths. Here's a photo of Maschsee carp that's from the internet, which means I am not making it up:


This was a good course for spectators because it was right in the middle of town, and so close to home that I was able to sleep to a respectable hour and pedal over with my backpack. Brian came just as the race started and was my official fan/photographer/moral support.

We had to bike over a stretch of cobblestones, which does not happen in the U.S. It's also not much fun on skinny tires. During the run, there was a water stand where volunteers also passed out Coke, fruit, granola bars, and (you guessed it) bubbly water. I could have stopped for breakfast.

I escaped fish attacks and made it out of the water in a respectable amount of time, pushed it hard on the bike, and ran with all the energy I had left. I finished 4th out of 105 women. I must say I am pretty proud of myself. Maybe next time I will try racing in a scarf.







No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.