Monday, January 7, 2013

Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and home

Edinburgh (Eh-din-bu-roh) is a cool town. It's surrounded by hills, the most famous of which is called Arthur's Seat. You can climb up it, which we did, and get a view of the city and the Firth of Forth. Say that three times fast (I am not sure of the technical term, but I think that a firth is the same as a bay).

The castle from the back side

Walking down the Royal Mile


Walking up to Arthur's Seat


In Edinburgh we wandered. We walked up and down the streets lined with stone buildings. Edinburgh is a great city to look at. The buildings are not tall or dramatic individually, but they have a way of fitting together that gives the place a lot of character. Of course the castle is the one really remarkable sight. It's up on a hilltop, almost growing out of the rocks, and you can see it from just about anywhere. Edinburgh has the same number of residents as Hannover, but it's just a lot cooler of a town. We are not the only ones to think so - lots of other tourists were roaming the streets - but it all fit in somehow to a sort of bustling but unhurried and friendly vibe that makes me really like the place.

Leaving Edinburgh was the when our trip started to slide downhill. We tried driving the scenic route to Aberdeen, but compared to what we'd seen earlier in the week, we were unimpressed. We did see what might be the "real" Scotland for most people - dreary, industrial towns with winding streets that seemed to trap us in, cookie-cutter suburban houses and flat green farmlands. We spent one night in the nicest hotel we'd booked during the trip, and Brian and I realized how tired we were of being on the move. We capped it off in the morning by getting completely lost on the way to the airport, abut still made our flight back to Germany to start life in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.