Sunday, April 14, 2013

The day to day

I have not forgotten you, my readers, but I have not had anything too exciting to report. No trips to Italy, no huge cultural misunderstandings, and no calls to the fire department.
Writing this blog, however is an exercise in discussing the things that aren't really discussion-worthy. So here are a few things that happened this week:

In German class I learned that the word for the Milky Way is Milchstrasse, meaning Milk Street. This got a discussion started among my classmates about the name of the galaxy in various languages, and they all have to do with milk and ways. I find this silly and cute. It may be my new favorite German word.

Also in German class this week I learned the word for dwarf. Then on my way home, I saw one riding a bike. What does this mean? I am not sure but it seems to significant to pass up.

On Friday after I was done subbing at the school, I went swimming. At the end of my workout, I saw an older man with his hairy back get out of the pool. He wore a light green speedo with yellow dots. Then he started to walk away and I saw that it was a thong. I stuck my face in the water so that he would not hear me laughing out loud. He probably thought I was just blowing bubbles like a toddler learning to swim.

When I came out of the pool, I found that my new - old bike had a flat tire. I can change a flat pretty well on the road bike but this old beater bike is beyond my expertise. Tomorrow I'll bring my wheel over to the bike shop to admit my incompetence.

And this weekend has been pretty quiet too. The biggest news is that the weather is improving and it's feeling like spring. It might not warm enough for a thong speedo swimsuit perhaps, but you can just wear those indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.