Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Hannover bomb scare

When I saw the news that a bomb squad was diffusing a bomb in Hannover, my American brain assumed that it had been planted by a terrorist, a fugitive from justice, or some modern menace to society. I was wrong. The bomb came from the U.S. military, seventy years ago.

 Direkt nach der Entschärfung konnten die Menschen in ihre Häuser zurückkehren....A construction crew working in Hannover's old town unearthed a ten hundredweight (I believe that's 1000 lbs.) bomb yesterday. It was a World War II dud that had buried itself right in the middle of town. About 9,000 people were evacuated last night from apartments, restaurants, hotels, the train station and Hannover's red light district. The bomb squad built a barrier of 49 water-filled shipping containers to protect the city from a possible blast, and diffused the bomb safely. Other than the restaurant owners and the hookers who lost a night of business, everyone was ok.


http://img.abendblatt.de/img/region/crop119451147/4150696032-ci3x2l-h307/Bombenfund-in-Hannover-4-.jpg


This is not the only bomb around town. In January, 25,000 people in the Hannover suburbs had to leave their homes while several bombs were diffused. Last year, another bomb was discovered and safely detonated beside an apartment complex. In 2009, there was another one... and so on. In fact, WWII bombs are regularly discovered all over Germany. Roughly 10% of the bombs that were dropped never exploded on impact. The older and more corroded they become, the harder it is to remove the bombs without making them explode. With age, they can become so volatile that there's a risk the buried bombs could just blow up spontaneously.

Maybe I should be scared, but I am sort of fascinated by this part of history that is still being uncovered. After all, there's a much bigger risk that I could get hit by a car or die of a rare disease then in a bomb explosion. I am used to thinking that a threat to public safety is new and a result of poor gun control, violent culture, or some form of terrorism. Hannover's bomb threat, though, was planted seven decades ago, and by people from my own country. Maybe 'bomb scare' is too strong of a term for what happened in central Hannover yesterday. To the evacuees, maybe it was just a bad night for business.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.