Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bicycle harvest

It's harvest time in Hannover.
One of the things that I like about living here is how easy it is to get out of town on the bike. It takes all of ten minutes to get from our urban apartment to farmland. I didn't grow up on a farm, or anywhere near one, but I am learning a little by riding past them and alongside Brian, who is a closet agriculture nerd.  As a geography teacher it's part of his job to understand how and where things are grown. As people who eat, we should all know more about it too. Around the Hannover region, farms are growing lettuce, potatoes, celery, corn, canola, wheat and, of course, the sugar beet. This kind of variety is lacking in many parts in the U.S., where soy and corn take over and other produce comes from farther away.
Here are some photos we took on the road:

pumpkins


Lettuce and cabbage

Sugar beets


This is the time of year that tractors are pulling the crops out of the ground and putting them in huge piles until someone comes with another machine to gather them up and take them off to be sold. There are much more technical terms for all of these things but I don't know what they are.
During this process, there are a few odd vegetables that roll away. So when I found some potatoes lying on the bike path last week, I couldn't just let them go to waste. I picked a couple up, put them in my pockets, and rode off. We ate them a few days later.

Yesterday, I saw a whole row of pear trees that had dropped their fruits by the side of the road. I rescued three to let them ripen on my kitchen counter. I am not a thief, really. I shop at the farmers market every week and buy local stuff at the supermarket too. But when a potato is lying there, vulnerable to passing traffic, someone has to rescue it.

The jersey has three little pockets. They are filled with three little pears.
I do not have a farm. I don't even have a backyard anymore. But if I want to know what's in season or how tall the corn is getting, I don't need to travel far to find out. Now I just need pockets that are big enough to take home a stray pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.