Sunday, January 5, 2014

Home for the holidays

We hadn't originally planned to go back to the US for Christmas. So why did we? Mostly because of this guy:


Brian and I became godparents to young Billy Casper at the beginning of a very Casper Christmas outside of Baltimore. Other than the baptism, there was a lot of eating and sitting in the living room. There was playing with the kids and shopping and gifts and a lot more eating. It was delicious.

Brian as the lEf and Becca starring as Cindy Lou Who
Then we flew on to Chicago, where we hung out with my family in different living rooms and ate different foods and played with different kids. It snowed too. My mom, sister and I took my Grandma to tea downtown and we spent a cozy weekend with my siblings and their families at the Powers Lake house. Oh, and Brian got to watch a couple dozen college football games. Then we went to Dallas.
Why Dallas? That'll be in another post.

Tea downtown at the Drake

This was a blast  - we got all 6 sleds tied together. I think Austin and Jaden couldn't see anything from under their hats.
Dad with his likeness. We should have put a cigar in its mouth.

Favorite game of the weekend - put Phoebe in the bench. She loved it.


So while we went a lot of places and saw a lot of people (not all mentioned here but that doesn't mean you're not important), our trip had a recurring theme of just hanging out... and eating.

Going back felt different this time. The obvious reasons are that it was winter and we didn't get to the Twin Cities.  We'd also been there just four months earlier, so easy and familiar places didn't give me the relief I felt after a year of being foreign. Is that because I feel less foreign in Germany now? Maybe it was also because our whole trip was spent in vast suburban landscapes. No offense to those of you who live in the suburbs, but I had the sensation that even after traveling in three states, we hadn't gotten anywhere becuase it all looked the same.
I didn't go for the places, though, I went for the people. And the Mexican food. And the movies.
We luckily escaped the Polar Vortex and are comfy with a damp 50 degrees in Hannover today. 
Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.