Sunday, April 13, 2014

Spandex and scarves

I ran 12 miles the other day. At least I think I did, but I can't be sure. I do not have a GPS chip in my shoe or an iphone app that posts my mileage on Facebook or even headphones. I actually do own headphones, but haven't run with any since I was fourteen and had a special neoprene belt for my Sony Discman. That's how old I am.


Anyway, I ran 12 miles (ish) because I am training for the Hannover half-marathon. It wasn't my idea. Our friends Jake and Viola, people who run a lot less often than I do, decided to run it and convinced me to join them. I have since bought a blue headband with white stars on it. I figure if I race wearing that with a red shirt I will look either obnoxiously American, or a little like Wonder Woman. Both are good options.

German runners can look a little like super heroes too. It's mostly because they like to wear a lot of spandex. Running tights are not just for the ultra dedicated or the ultra fit here. Everyone seems to have a pair. Often the tights also match the runner's jacket and shoes. It's like they bought the outfit right off of a mannequin - very sportlich.

German runners don't wear superhero capes, but they do sometimes wear scarves. The jogger coming toward me might be wearing shorts, but she's not taking any chances on having a cold neck. Brian explained to me recently that a German's scarf is like Linus's blanket from Peanuts. Just like Linus can use his blanket as a whip, a Christmas tree skirt, or a flying carpet, a German can use a scarf as a turban, a napkin or a picnic blanket.
 
Solely for the purposes of this blog, I decided to hang out by the lake, pretending to stretch, and take photos of typical German runners. This is actually the third time I have tried to take sneaky photos of people by the Maschsee for this blog. First it was people with dogs, then the Nordic walkers, and now runners. I may be getting a reputation as that weird foreigner who pretends to take photos of the lake while actually stalking innocent exercisers. My mission was not totally successful; I didn't get any shots of a runner in a scarf.



 

Of course, this could be how runners in the U.S. are dressing these days, too. I haven't lived there for almost three years and I forget that things have changed while I've been away. But that's a topic for another post.

If Wonder Woman was a runner she wouldn't have a GPS. The chip would never fit in her go-go boots. So I will take a lesson from her and just keep running. Then I will have to guess how far I've gone.

1 comment:

  1. don't worry. Take it from me: nothing ever changes in USA while you are away.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.