Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rostock in the rain, and restaurants


On Thursday we rolled into Rostock.
We came to for the Hansesail festival – the tall ships. There are tall ships festivals in Chicago, Duluth and Hamburg, but I have never been to one. What I didn’t realize about this one was that it also featured kiddie rides, bratwurst stands and band shells. Brian thought I had tricked him into attending some kind of a county fair.

It rained much of the afternoon, but we dried out enough to enjoy some of the ships.







We could have seen more of Rostock with another day and clearer weather, but we did eat at a really cool restaurant. It was built into a building that is probably 300 years old, and Brian had the best turkey sandwich of his life. The more we travel to big towns and small towns, to places in Germany and other countries, the more I realize that Hannover's restaurants stink. I do have a place in my heart (rather, my stomach) for the Indian restaurant across the street and for our Turkish kabob shop. But on the whole I have not found anywhere to eat here that is really really good. 

Hannoverians, I know there's a few of you out there. I challenge you to recommend to me the best restaurants in Hannover. I haven't given up yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.