Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Blue October

My posts about our trip would not be complete without mentioning the Royals.

A lot of things have happened since I was in kindergarten. The Berlin Wall came down, the internet was invented, the Twin Towers were attacked... But since I was in kindergarten, the Kansas City Royals baseball team has not made it to the post-season. At all.

I know this so well because my husband is very faithful - to me and to the Royals. In fact, he has been in love with the Royals longer than he's been in love with me, and almost every year they break his heart. At one point I tried convincing him to cheer for another team that would make him happy, at least some of the time.

This year, the Royals got all the way to the World Series and made Brian very, very happy. They made all of Kansas City happy, and all of the Midwest even. Everybody likes an underdog. In KC, it seemed like everyone wore Royals shirts and waved Royals flags from their doorways or their cars. The water in the public fountains was dyed bright blue and the skyscrapers lit up a big blue KC through their windows at night. It was Blue October. I like that name because it sounds poetic. There's also a band called Blue October, but I'm sure they have fewer fans than the Royals do.

And no, they didn't win the World Series. But for the first time in 29 years, everyone who cares at all about baseball was impressed by the Royals. And those who have loved the Royals faithfully for so long finally got the season they deserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.