Thursday, December 10, 2015

Directions

A man on the street stopped me as I parked my bike one afternoon, and asked for directions the housing office. I used to cringe when people stopped me to ask directions. Partly it was because I usually didn't know where they wanted to go, but also because I was often unsure how to explain that to them without sound like a complete idiot. Now, after four years, my attitude has changed. I may still not know where my fellow pedestrians are heading and maybe I still can't articulate that perfectly. But if they don't like my answer then they should have just asked someone else.

This new-found confidence failed me the other night. When it was already pitch dark at 5:30, an old man asked me how to get to the tram stop. I pointed to it, told him where to go and watched him walk away. He hobbled right past the entrance to the station and kept going. I felt deeply, awfully guilty. Somebody's Opa was now wandering the streets of Hannover with his walker, and would probably get mugged and cause a car accident and have a heart attack from the shock. Then he and all his family would curse the foreigner who didn't walk him right to the tram. In all likelihood this did not happen, because nobody gets mugged in Hannover.

Back to my original story - the housing office (Wohnungsamt) is an easy one because it's just down the street from my building. I have a lot of confidence giving directions there. Every day of the week, a small crowd mills around the entrance. They are either waiting for the office to open, or staring at the door, puzzled why it's locked. If you want to visit the housing office, you have a window of just a few hours a day. If you show up during between the hours of 9 and 5, it's a long shot as to whether you can get in. If it's a Wednesday, forget it.



The fact that the housing office is there definitely increases the number of foreigners in my otherwise white, German, yuppie neighborhood. One day when I was in the grocery store, a couple (who had probably gone to visit the housing office and found it closed), stopped me near the bakery case. "Do you speak English?" They asked. Do I ever! They asked me to help them read the labels in front of the different croissants. She was wearing a head scarf and he looked vaguely Middle Eastern, and together we decided that the ham and cheese-filled croissant was not what they were looking for. There one next to it was labeled 'Nuss-nougat', which is the generic term for Nutella. I asked if they knew what Nutella is. She wrinkled her forehead for a moment in concentration, then said, "oh! chocolate." I nodded enthusiastically and they grabbed a few nutella croissants with the plastic tongs. I may have failed the old man looking for his tram, but I had helped this couple. I too had been baffled by items at the grocery store, and more than once took something home not sure of exactly what I'd find in the package, As women, as foreigners, she and I found common ground in love of chocolate.  Some things are universal.



3 comments:

  1. I really like your blog Julia! I moved to the US from Hannover and some things you talk about sound very familiar - just the other way around - or remind me of how things back "home" are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JuliaDecember 18, 2015 at 1:26 PM

      Thank you Meike! I hope you are doing well in the U.S. and I'm sure you have plenty of stories to tell yourself. If you ever want to guest write a post, let me know.

      Julia

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.