Saturday, April 16, 2016

Home of the Catholicos

We also visited Etchmiadzin, Armenia's version of Vatican City. It's the headquarters of the Armenian church and home to its leaders, known as Catholicos. The cathedral there houses several famous relics: from St. Peter, John the Baptist, Noah's Ark and the lance that a Roman soldier used to pierce Jesus's side after he died on the cross. Of course, there is no DNA testing. But since Armenia was home to early Christians and the first country to become officially Christian, I guess it's plausible.

As a practicing Catholic, I am very aware that some of our Catholic stuff is really weird. Relics, whether Catholic or Catholico, are among the weirdest. Inside a fancy gold box is an eyelash, or a toenail, or maybe a nose hair of John the Baptist? Gross. Or gross and creepy in the holiest of ways.
I wonder what the inside of that toenail box smells like now.


Holy Lance

fragment of Noah's Ark

The gloss and prestige of Etchmiadzin stopped at the walls of the church complex. The rest of the town looked like other places in Armenia:





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.