Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Fresh starts

Goodbye, 2016. You haven't been all bad, but it's time for you to go.

On the plus side, there have been a few babies born into our lives and some great trips to the Caucases, the US, Spain... But in world events things are not so hot. Police killings, ongoing wars, the refugee crisis, terrorist attacks from Miami to Istanbul, Prince, George Michael, David Bowie , Brexit, Donald Trump (oh please, Europeans, don't ask me about Trump).

So don't let the door hit you on the way out, 2016. We're ready for a new year, full of fresh starts. For Brian and me, there's half a year left to enjoy not working too hard in Europe, and to revel a bit in just how far we've come since stepping off that plane with an air mattress stuffed into a suitcase. We will make a big move back to what we know in Minnesota, and get to know it all over again.

As for the world, I hope that in 2017 mankind can get its act together. I hope we can get up from the muck, brush ourselves off and help each other out.

It was good to ring in this year in Ireland, where the people are warm, the smiles are friendly, and the water at restaurants is free and has ice cubes. Brian and I needed a break from the grim German weather and the grim Germans' faces. Even at Christmas time, it seemed they had reasons to scowl. The Irish can even out-nice Minnesotans.

So here's what I wish for the world this year, though it may sound overly simple: I want us to help each other, to be kind, to share, not to do mean things because we are scared or we don't understand. That includes all of us and I want it to happen both in the neighborhood and in the international arena.
Yes, these are the same things your mother taught you when you were five. She was right.
This year let's all grow up together, let's learn to tie our shoes, share our toys and play nice.

Off to a hopeful 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.