Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Note it in the log

Each time you scuba dive, you fill out a page in your diving log book. You list the date, depth, visibility, and name of your buddy. Scuba was one way that Brian got me interested in visiting Tunisia in the first place. But as the diving day approached, I got a little nervous. I hadn't gone into the depths for two full years, and was worried I'd forget the hand signals or how to deflate my vest or, you know, breathe. Most things that are mildly scary and also exhilarating, and so it was with the shipwreck dive in Monastir. After a mild freak-out at first, I remembered how to breathe and stopped feeling cold and started to notice the little fish peeking out of the wrecked fishing boat, covered with tiny sea plants and lit by sunbeams shining through the water.






We had peeled off the head to toe neoprene and shivered as we got in the van.
"There should be a log book for life," Brian said as I scribbled in the depths of our dives and the amount of air we used up. And he's right - how great would it be to complete a page for every little achievement? Every significant event? What would you include, anyway? Maybe this blog is my log book for expat life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.