Saturday, September 1, 2012

Eye of the Tiger

About two days before we left my parents' house in Lisle, Illinois, Brian and I woke up and opened the window facing the usually silent street. But there was music coming from one of the neighbor's houses. Loud music. The song was, in fact, Eye of the Tiger, which I hadn't heard in years.

Then about two days after we arrived in Hannover, Brian and I opened our living room window one evening. Amid all of the usual busy street sounds, we heard one car blasting music. The song was Eye of the Tiger.

Then yesterday, I heard it in a bakery and Brian heard it in a pool hall.

This song is following us.

What does it mean? Does it want to be "our song"? (Some couples have a romantic, sentimental song. It would be cool to have an 80's power ballad instead.)  Is it trying to tell us something? Maybe we are supposed to get pumped up to go take on another year in Germany. Maybe we are supposed to get pumped up to lose the extra pounds we gained over the summer. Maybe I am supposed to get pumped up to beat a bunch of wussy Germans at the Hannover triathlon tomorrow. Allegedly the guy who wrote that song went to my high school. Maybe we have a weird Lisle connection.

I'll write tomorrow or Monday to tell you how the triathlon went. It's likely that Eye of the Tiger will still be playing in my head by then, or maybe even at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.