Sunday, June 9, 2013

Flohmarkt

Yesterday we went to the flea market, or the Flohmarkt if you are speaking German. The flea market is on the edge of the old part of Hannover, on either side of the Leine River, just beyond where the city walls used to be. It's sort of an antique market, meaning that people don't just sell junk, they sell old junk. It's a fun place to wander around on a Saturday.


There are a lot of dishes, record albums, old books, costume jewelry and blenders that may still work. There photo above is of a stand that sells only American license plates.

Every sort of old knick knack you could ever want was for sale on this table. There were even some you'd never want, like these black-face figurines. This kind of stuff is not considered offensive in Germany.


Our big find of the day was a big framed, hand-drawn map of Hannover in 1815ish. The woman who sold it to us said it was hanging on her mother's wall for the last 40 years. It is now on ours. The city walls and the river are easy to spot. Maybe there was even a Flohmarkt on that same spot 200 years ago, where they sold really old junk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.