Thursday, April 2, 2015

Stay-cation

It's spring break time in Germany, and we have two weeks off. This year, Brian and I decided to do something out of the ordinary - nothing. We decided not to go anywhere. We wanted a stay-cation. This all sounded great. I had visions of long bike rides and projects around the house, maybe some day trips outside of Hannover, sunning myself on the balcony, lounging by the lake.

What have we gotten? Rain, wind, hail, snow. Repeat. Mix them all together and repeat hourly for about six days, and you have a Hannover spring break stay-cation.

By day 2, we were already checking out last minute flight deals. But no, we resolved to stick it out a little while longer. We looked hopefully at the forecast. We told ourselves to relax and get to those indoor projects and sleep in.

On day 4 the wind gusts were so strong they almost blew me off my bike. Fatefully, coupons for train travel arrived in the mail.

By day 5 the hail continued and pelted us on our way back from the hardware store. Brian and I admitted to each other that we suck at stay-cation. So during happy hour around the corner, we made a list of possible destinations for next week. We will travel somewhere for a couple of days. I guess staying put is harder than it seemed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.