Saturday, August 22, 2015

In Hannover, again

Brian and I just returned from four weeks Stateside. Actually, we didn't just return. We've been back in Hannover for over a week. We are back to work already and it seems like that month in the U.S. is already long gone.

I find that I don't write much on visits back home. I'm not sure why. It could be because there are too many people to see and not enough rainy Hannover days pulling me back to the blog. Or maybe since I have a limited time to be in that American part of my life, I put my energy into doing things than reflecting on them.

It's not that I wasn't thinking about you people at all. I did have an idea for a blog post during our trip. In an odd reverse-tourism kind of way, I wanted to take photos of all the odd American things that a German tourist would find interesting. It would have included a mailbox shaped like a fish, a sign on the church doorways that said no firearms allowed, and a whole supermarket aisle full of salad dressing.

But I never got around to taking those pictures. There was a lake to swim in, a taco to eat, a friend to visit. And all those salad dressings to choose from. As much as I was ready to get back to my own bed and my car-free lifestyle in Germany, it was, as always, hard to say goodbye.

I did add a few photos from the trip. None are of fish mailboxes, but you might appreciate them anyway.
And now, dear readers, you are back with me in Hannover again, over and over.

Powers lake


Me and Phoebe

Dad and the nephews


Sunset, Minneapolis
A proud Minnesota moment: T-bone bingo

Brian won meat too - what a night!

"Dragging" the field , St Paul Saints

Americana

One of our favorite places

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.