Sunday, November 6, 2016

Not for sissies


Brian and I had our eleventh wedding anniversary on the day we flew back to Germany. There wasn't much chance to celebrate. By that I mean no candlelight, wine, tablecloths that sort of thing.

But if you call sitting at a brightly lit airport bar, watching playoff baseball, and waiting for a delayed flight celebrating, then we had a great time. Actually, it was sort of romantic. I even got a public display of affection out of it. Sitting together in the middle row on an eight hour flight wasn't so bad either. There's something entirely sentimental about flipping up the arm rest.

I am not an expert on anyone else's love story but my own, and eleven years (or seventeen to be exact) isn't that long in the scheme of your whole life.

What I can tell you for sure is that love is not for sissies. Don't forget that your bloody beating heart is the hardest working muscle in the body. No wonder that's the symbol we use for love. If it were all about roses and cherubs, then the symbol would be... an earlobe or something.

Maybe on our anniversary next year, we will go out to a nice dinner like normal people. We can have candlelight and tablecloths and all that crap. Maybe we will go on a three hour bike ride, or stay home and watch movies. We will certainly not be on a transatlantic flight... but more on that later.

What you do the very day isn't what matters. It's every day that does. So happy anniversary, Brian, whatever day you read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.