Saturday, July 7, 2012

Going Stateside

Tomorrow at the crack of dawn we get on a plane back to the US... sort of. First we fly to Copenhagen, and have an hour layover. Then we fly to Stockholm and have an hour layover. Then we fly to Chicago. Airplane routes don't always make sense to me but airfare prices do, and it was the best possible option. We will spend the first two weeks at my parents' place in Powers Lake Wisconsin, various friends and relatives coming to see us. Next is a week in the Twin Cities, a week on the west coast for our friend Kate's Oregon wedding, and the last 5 or 6 days back in Powers Lake.

There are, of course, so many people we are excited to see that I won't even name them. You know who you are.

I have been daydreaming about hot weather, sunbathing on the deck, floating in the water, going to the movie theater, putting my wet clothes in a dryer, reading the newspaper (on paper), having conversations with strangers, drinking free ice water at restaurants, and grocery shopping on Sundays. 

Will we miss anything from Germany? Probably, but I don't know what yet. After five weeks I might crave Doner kebabs or bakery bread or at least my bike. I'm sure we will be happy to see our Hannover friends again.

It's exciting to think that, unlike the last time we came from the US, when we get back to our apartment all of our things will be here.

So this is my last post from Hannover for a while. I will probably check in Stateside but if you don't hear from me too much, just know that I'm probably in the hammock.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.