Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Luneburg

On Saturday we went to Luneburg, which is a small city between Hannover and Hamburg. The occasion was the Hansetage festival, where our friend Kaska's Polish folk dance group was performing. Kaska's husband Thorsten drove us - me, Brian, and our friends Ed and Serena - to Luneburg for the day. On the way there, Serena and Ed (who are also Americans) used the opportunity to ask Thorsten (who is German) every burning question they had about Germany. We talked about German politics, American politics, immigration, dubbed movies, health care, unemployment benefits, and hookers. That's right, hookers. We saw several 1980s era campers on the side of the road with a red heart and the words "sexy girls" painted on the door. Thorsten explained that in the campers prostitutes were hanging out and waiting for business. This prompted more discussion on the legality of prostitution in Germany and other countries. We encouraged Serena to hop out and ask the girls directly, but she wouldn't do it.

Hansetage is a festival celebrating Luneburg's years in the medieval Hanseatic trading league. There were all kinds of people wandering around in tights and other historical costumes, and we got to see the middle ages-era crane lift some barrels up from the river onto the shore. The crane works when a man walks inside a big wheel, which pulls a chain, which moves the pulley. It's sort of like a human hamster wheel. Luneburg has a lot of pretty historic buildings and tall churches, which shows you that cities in the Hanseatic league were wealthy enough to build up fancy cities and preserve them over the years. It also shows you that those buildings were not blown up in World War 2.

The Polish dancers stole the show. They were smiling and spinning and singing and pretending to blow a huge wooden horn.  They definitely looked better and had more fun than the frumpy, old, unattractive German folk dancers. I am not sure what that means about the merits of Polish culture versus German culture... but I will let you ponder it.

On the way home, we discussed colonialism, racism, and hookers yet again. It was a good day.

Here are some photos:
Polonia E.V. folkloric dance group

Helenka and her future dance partner

Kaska talking with one of the other folk dancers

Thorsten and me in front of the crane, at the Luneburg harbor


Charlotte, Kaska, and me

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.