Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Back in the saddle

You might think that title is a cute figurative way to describe our return to more or less normal life in Hannover after six weeks in the U.S.
But no, it's pretty much literal. I got back in the bike saddle yesterday after six weeks away, and I have to tell you that today I'm just a little bit sore. It's the bike's way of telling me it was lonely while I was gone. (Not so interesting aside: The bike seat is called a saddle but the thing that holds it up is called a seat post. Go figure)

It feels good to be back and in the place where I belong, at least for the time being.Jet lag is a funny thing. I went to sleep last night at 8:30, woke up at midnight, fell asleep again around 3, and now feel oddly refreshed. I will probably crash into noncoherent babble after lunch so I'd better write this now.

 Some interesting things we found in the mail upon our return:
1. A letter from the company that did a phone interview with me in June regarding a job teaching English. The purpose of the letter is to show that I have a possible job offer so that I can attempt to get my residence permit changed so that I can maybe work there. You might notice my subtle hesitation here... since the job would be as a freelancer rather than a real employee I think I probably won't be allowed to do it.  But I will bring the letter to the foreigner's office anyway to see if it's possible. That will be fun.
2. A letter from the tax office. It says we owe them 713 euros.  This is not cool. The letter is currently under review from our tax preparer/P.E. teacher friend who helped us do our German taxes in the first place. He told Brian not to get his hopes up that there's been a mistake. It's not that we don't have the money, but that I'd rather spend it on lavish travel than on taxes. We've already traded in our weekend in Barcelona for a weekend in Des Moines. Now we might have to trade in a fall break trip for a payoff to the German government. I don't begrudge paying taxes. I get that they are important. I just wish someone would take them away sooner and in smaller amounts. Being a grownup sucks sometimes.
3.  A request from the head of primary grades at the international school that I cover ESL classes (Americans call it ELL) for the next few weeks.  The reason that one of the two teachers is out is that she is returning from maternity leave and has to take her little one to day care. This doesn't make sense, right? The reason the kid goes there is so that mom can go to work. In Germany, however, when your child starts at a new day care place, the parent has to go too. For the first week or so it's all day, then half days, then a few hours, until the child is acclimated and happy. I guess this is a great thing for the kid, but not so great for the parent's employer. It's ok for me, though, because I know when I am working for the next three weeks.

I'm sure you will hear more from me about all of these items as they develop. That's enough for now, though.  I have to get my butt back in the saddle and ride to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.