Thursday, August 30, 2012

Teaching English, Re-learning German

For the next couple of weeks, I am pretending to be a primary school ESL teacher. I've got kids from first to fifth grade, but only in small groups. I had the fifth graders working on mad libs today, and the verbs they kept picking for their stories were all forms of "to poop". There's a first grade girl who keeps talking to me in Japanese, and I made a couple of third grade boys sit in opposite corners of the room and do their work facing the wall. It's been a good week, considering I don't really know what I'm doing.

Learning English as a kid is not so different from learning German as an adult. You learn by topics - family, transportation, work, school, foods, holidays, etc. You spell things wrong, try to answer in as few words as possible, ask why complex grammar rules make no sense, and say 'I don't know' a lot. The more these kids are in school, the more English they are exposed to. The more I am in this school, the more English I am exposed to and the less German I use.

I can definitely tell that I lost a little of my German language skill over the summer. I heard myself order food at a restaurant last night and it sounded pretty bad. I half believed that I'd do some studying on my own while we were in the U.S., but that never happened. I guess I am not the most dedicated student in school. The words are in my brain somewhere, it's just the grammar rules that I might need to learn again.

I have not given up; I've just gotten distracted for a while. My class starts again in a couple of weeks, and hopefully all of us will need some extra review. Helga and I are planning to meet again to practice conversation soon, and my German over cocktails group meets next week. So I should get back on track pretty soon. In the meantime, I might research all verb forms of  'to poop' in German. That's one I haven't learned yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.