Sunday, October 21, 2012

Off to Istabul

I have just packed my bags for Istanbul.

We leave tomorrow, for 4 nights and 4 days of tourism with some guidance from Como Park HS alum and Istanbul resident Liz Wilcox. I don't know what to expect of Istanbul... maybe something like a blend of Cairo and London. I know there are mosques and markets and museums, trendy bars, fancy hotels, and a lot of kebabs to eat.

Tomorrow is also our 7th wedding anniversary. Istanbul will be a memorable place to celebrate. Of course, it was memorable when we spent our first anniversary at Brian's high school reunion, hanging out in his friend Taylor's basement, but in a different way). Anniversaries mean more than birthdays to me... on a birthday you celebrate another year. On an anniversary you celebrate another year, together.

In the mean time, here are a few photos from the weekend. It's gotten warm here, like Indian Summer. Except, in Germany the word for this kind of weather is Altweibersommer, which translates as something like "old hag summer". I looked this word up (on the internet, where else?) and learned that the name comes from spider webs that are covered in dew or frost and look like long gray hairs in the wind at this time of year. Anyway, the weather has been beautiful...




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.