Friday, February 22, 2013

Barcelona - day 2 - old town

On our second day in Barcelona we did some serious sightseeing. We walked and walked around the old town, the port, the central boulevard of Las Ramblas... none of which were too crowded but I could imagine a sticky summer day spent bumping against tourist bodies. It's a city worth seeing.
Here are some highlights:

La Boqueria is a covered market that's been operating for hundreds of years. Markets are another thing that I love to visit and Brian doesn't care so much about. This one was pretty cool, though. You can by fancy Spanish hams and fresh juices and empanadas and tripe (nicer word for guts) and lambs with no skin but eyeballs intact.

La Seu Cathedral is a huge gothic church in the historic area of Barcelona. While Santa Maria del Mar was beautiful, La Seu was impressive, imposing even. The arched ceilings were so high and the side altars so ornate that I remembered how cathedrals are (or were) more about showing off than about faith. Right under the altar is the tomb of St. Eulalia, Barcelona's patron saint.

Near the port we tried to go to the Maritime Museum, which is housed in the shipyards where the Armada was built during the Middle Ages. Unfortunately, it was closed for rennovation. So instead we looked at the memorial commemorating Columbus and his conquests, pondering whether anyone in Barcelona wonders whether Columbus deserves a memorial. The statue of the Spanish priest showing a humble naked savage the way was particularly interesting. Then we sat by the water watching boats come in and soaking up the sunshine.

We walked to the point of exhaustion, hunger, and related crankiness (me, not Brian), then stopped for eats and drinks and collapsed back at the hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.