Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Romantic Road - part 2

On Friday, we took the Romantic Road south. Imagine the alps in the distance, edelweiss blooming in a meadow, an old man in lederhosen yodeling in the background. That's the part of Germany we went to. I may be exaggerating, but the clear, sunny skies made the whole scene a little more... romantic.
View from our gas station stop

We started in the town of Fuessen, at the foot of the German Alps. It sits on the road that the ancient Romans used to cross the Alps. Fuessen has a quaint pedestrian old town and a shop, that I stopped in, filled with only cuckoo clocks. We walked up a hilltop to see the town castle and happened on a monastery from the 900s called St Mang. The church on the site was ornate, empty, and filled with artwork of St George the dragon-slayer and his rival dragons. I am not sure why the monks chose to fill their church with dragons, except that it seems like one might climb out of a cave in the valley below Fuessen and try to eat a few princesses.
Fuessen

St. Mang Basilica

St. Mang Basilica


Did I mention that the sun was shining? It was, which gave us a great opportunity to see the two castles nearby: Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. Both castles belonged to crazy King Ludwig of Bavaria. Apparently once Bavaria joined Germany in the mid 1800s, Ludwig decided to spend all the royal family's money on building elaborate castles. Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland was modeled after Neuschwanstein, and it is right out of a fairly tale.

Neuschwanstein Castle

Neuschwanstein Castle


By the time the castle was built in the 1880s, Ludwig was in serious debt. After he died, the castle was opened to paying visitors and the debt was paid off a decade later. So this place has been a tourist trap for over one hundred years. Today you can take a bus or a horse-drawn carriage up the hill to the castle, or you can walk like we did. You need to burn off that spaetzle somehow.

Hohenschwangau Castle

The last stop on our excursion to the south was to Reutte, Austria. Our main motivation to go was so that I could say I'd been to Austria and scratch it off of our scratch-off world map. After much debate, my parents and I decided that it would not count if I didn't get out of the rental car and actually set foot in Austria. So we decided to get cake. We found the place in Reutte where the grandmas meet for coffee. It seemed to be the Alpine version of the Elmwood Family Restaurant near my Grandma's house.

We drove back safely past the castles and through Fuessen without being eaten by dragons. The scariest thing was navigating bad German pop radio and getting back into Augsburg in pre-game soccer traffic.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I have tried this---what fun. You will have to let me know if it works. I am all caught up (with the blog) and hate that I am. When I can't read the blog I want to and than we I do get all caught up ---- I want more. I am living vicariously through the two of you and all your travels. Keep up the good work! I hope you had a wonderful birthday in Italy! K

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.