Thursday, July 25, 2013

US trip - Gray-cation


Week 2 of our U.S. trip was the Gray-cation. It was first-ever reunion for my dad's side of the family in Grand Beach, Michigan. There were 23 adults and 5 kids in a lodge sort of a place that used to be a little hotel in the woods.

We decided on day one that if the movie The Shining were set in the Midwest, it would have been filmed at this place. It had a big screen porch, huge common rooms with slightly shabby couches, an old phone booth in the hall, and a player piano that no longer played. Each bedroom had a theme ranging from cowboys to sailboats to kitty cats. I knew that if I heard piano music in the middle of the night, or if spurs clicking their way down the hall, it would mean the place was definitely haunted.

Thankfully, though, we made it through the week. The scariest things that happened were running out of beer in the cooler and finding earwigs where you’d least expect them. We had a pool out back and the beach – perfect for watching sunsets - was a short walk away. If you’ve never swum in Lake Michigan before, picture a very calm  ocean with only fresh water and no seashells. It was fantastic.

It’s funny to get to know your cousins as adults. These are the ones that always lived far away, that we would only see every couple of years. The cousins from my mom’s side of the family have shared kiddie tables at countless family gatherings and seen each other in all stages of awkward growing-up.  We still fall into the roles that we’ve played since preschool. Hanging around with the Gray cousins and their spouses was different. It was more like seeing friends of a friend that you’d met before and always hear about… but never really gotten to know until now.

The crowning moment was on the last night when my cousin-in-law Rachel showed off her design of my father’s and his four siblings’ heads carved into Mount Rushmore. I don’t think they enjoyed the drawing as much as my generation did. It would have looked great on the wall of a Black-Hills themed room, or better yet, the Presidential suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.