Saturday, July 6, 2013

War memorials

During our bike rides through the farmland and small towns outside of Hannover, Brian and I started noticing war memorials. They are not big or shiny or located in prominent spots. There is, as far as I know, no big national memorial in Germany to commemorate WWI and WWII. The Germans were, after all, the losers. And they were the bad guys; that's what we were raised to believe. My impression is that Germans are raised with a degree of shame and regret for what happened here, but also a nostalgia for what was destroyed by the allies. The swastikas have been scratched away and painted over, the flag is only waved at football games, and no old veterans march in parades. There are, however, still some memorials tucked away in shady corners. We even saw one in Hamburg, half-hidden behind the gate of a sports stadium.

Small towns in the U.S. have similar memorials, carved with the names of local boys who died fighting. It's funny to think that Germans remember their neighbors and sons the same way, only they fought on the other side. So we started taking photos of war memorials. I say 'we' because this post is really Brian's idea and it's a good one (though I guess you can be the judge of that).

Brian decided to wear his Polska cycling outfit on the day when we took most of these pictures, so that he could stick it to the Germans on behalf of our friends the Poles.

Memorial in Harkenbleck

Memorial in Oerie

Memorial in Oerie

Memorial for the war with Prussia, in Elze

Memorial in Luedersen
This one has a little more symbolism than the rest - a lion who has been killed by a broken spear in its back. It shows pride in the strong nation that was stabbed from behind.

And here's a different sort of memorial, dedicated to the unknown deserter. It's right in middle of Hannover, in front of the Rathaus. Just recently someone painted "no more war" on it and left a pot of flowers.
It's a tribute to those who didn't want to fight, were scared to fight, didn't feel like it was right to fight, and left the helmet and combat boots behind.





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.