Monday, January 12, 2015

New Year in Cuba

New Year's in Cuba is a big deal, and I was excited to ring in 2015 in a warm climate. The owners of our casa particular, Lourdes and Jose Miguel, invited us to come to a dinner at their daughter's house. She also rents out rooms in her home along the water - 6 rooms, in fact, so it was like a small hotel. There was big buffet dinner on the patio, with a mix of tourists and family taking part.

Cuban new year has the familiar ingredients of dancing, fancy food, drinking and kisses at midnight. Traditionally, Cubans roast a pig for the feast. We saw one being butchered out on the sidewalk in Cienfuegos. The other big tradition is to build a scarecrow out of old clothes and newspaper. This is the old man of the year that has passed, with a big 2014 written on his chest. What happens to him at midnight? They light him on fire, of course.




I also learned from Surama and her brother that people who want to travel walk out of the house with a suitcase on New Year's Eve. They take it around the block, or to the nearest bar. This is the way to welcome a new year that will take you places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.