Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Revolution continues

Throughout Cuba, the only type of advertising you'll see is propaganda.

This Revolution is the daughter of culture and ideas

Your example lives, your ideas endure

Our duty: to produce for the people!

It was common to see signs recognizing this year as the 56th year of the Revolution. I didn't realize Cuba is still fighting the Revolution. So the question is, are they winning?

As Americans we learn that Communism, if not evil, is at least backward and ineffective and unjust. After 12 days in Cuba, I'm not sure that's entirely true.

"With all and for the good of all"

We found that Cuba is a very safe country with no homeless people. It offers universal, quality health care and an educational system that sends good students go to university for free. Workers have guaranteed days off and job security, even if they get paid next to nothing. Cuba's sustainable agriculture is an example for the world.

We also found hard-working people with very little wealth, people who can't afford to travel within their own country, and a lot who are trying to get out. Homes are crowded. Because of the dual currency system, those with low-level jobs in the tourism industry can earn more than doctors and engineers. There is no right to freedom of speech and access to information is censored. Technology is 20 years behind that of the rest of the world.

Racial equality in Cuba appears to be more advanced than in the U.S. The black market lives on, despite the strength of the state. Private businesses - only legalised in the last 8 years - pop up everywhere.  Cubans are proud of Cuba, even though some of them would rather live somewhere else. People line up by the butcher shop on the day the ham comes in - it might not be there tomorrow.

As the sign says, only those who fight and resist will win. Cuba is certainly resisting capitalism and fighting the political forces that rule much of the world. Whether it's winning or not... I still can't tell.


"Only those who fight and resist will win"





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.