Monday, July 11, 2016

Food!

Enough about social issues and world events.  Let's talk about food.
Brian and I came up with a list of the best, or at least the most memorable, foods we have eaten in most every place we traveled in the last several years. Here they are, in no particular order:

Riga, Latvia - Pelmeni in the market building

Cyprus - Oranges. Never thought they could taste so good. And octopus, cut up in meaty little chunks and grilled.

Georgia - anything that Ketino made at her house

Armenia - they make a good shawarma, which is similar to Döner or gyros but with an Armenian twist.

Krakow, Poland - Zapiekenka (see below)



Egypt - nothing.

Ireland - Brian votes for the full Irish breakfast. I do not. I think we had some good beef stew and crocodile in an Australian restaurant in Galway.

Birmingham, England - Indian food.

Lakes district, England - home made sticky toffee pudding.

Israel - (just me) fresh hummus, artisan ice cream, tabbouleh

Cuba - ham & cheese sandwiches, and ropa vieja, which is a slow cooked beef with rice and beans.

Istanbul, Turkey - Fresh falafel in the street. Bringing the humble chickpea to new levels.

Girona, Spain - ham. Brian ate a whole plate of it for dinner and claimed it was the greatest pork product ever, after JD Hoyt's pork chops in Minneapolis.

Finland - reindeer salami

Germany:
Regensburg - sausages from the Wurst Kuch'l
Templin - Schnitzel and Flammkuchen
Eisenach - Schnitzel
Erfurt - mustard
Bamberg - pork Haxe (knuckle)
Everywhere - bread


This is all making me hungry, so I'll sign off, for a few days in fact.
I am going to watch Tom and Brian coach the German junior national baseball team to glory in the Under 18 European Championships in Gijon, Spain.
You can follow along here:
http://baseballstats.eu/2016/gijon/schedule.php

I'll try to come back with a few stories about the food.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.