Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The blue Danube

Brian and I went down to Regensburg for the weekend. Around this time last year, this ancient town in Bavaria was our destination for hot weather, lightning strikes, massive beer mugs and the infamous crystal ship. This trip was a little more tame. We were heading to Regensburg so that Brian could be at a baseball tournament scout his own players and come up with plans for the big tournament.

That's right - after a few years of semi-retirement, Brian is a baseball coach again. He and our good friend and partner-in-crime Tom Gillespie will be leading the German Junior National Team to baseball glory at the European championships in Spain next week.

One thing we did repeat from last year was a stop at the Wurstkuchl - a little hut along the Danube that claims to be the oldest continuously open restaurant in the world.  From a start selling boiled meat to 12th century sailors, to dishing up grilled sausages and kraut to 21st century tourists today, I would imagine the place hasn't changed much. And the beer has probably changed even less. The Wurstkuchl has survived countless river floods which still have not washed the scent of pork smoke out of the walls.



While most of Brian's time was spent at the ballpark, I had big plans to take big bike rides along the blue Danube (cue the music). The Donau Radweg (Danube bike trail) is part of the Euro Velo 6, a trail that runs from the Atlantic coast in France to the Black Sea in Romania. It runs across 10 countries and follows the Loire, Rhine and Danube straight across Europe. I imagined myself a few thousand kilometers away by Tuesday.

But we only had two days. And all the trains that allowed bike transport were sold out. And it rained. So instead, I took the rental bike that was getting me between the ball field and the hotel, and I took it out for a three-hour spin on Sunday. Here's what I saw:

How they roll in Bavaria: One piece spandex lederhose.



Town of Bad Abbach

My first frog-crossing sign

We may never re-create last year's trip to Regensburg with St Paul-ites Luke and Jackie. But I'd be happy to keep trying. I don't think they'll run out of sausages for at least a few hundred years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.