Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

For all of you walking around with your round red "I voted" stickers, know that I've beat you to it. I voted weeks ago, and no one gave me a sticker at all.

It's good I've gotten that out of the way, because now I need to worry how to explain the election process in German.  My German teacher, who is into politics and likes to ask me about Obama, told me that I need to give a speech about the U.S. election during Wednesday's class. Everyone in the class has to do a speech sometime soon, it's just that they get to choose their topics and mine was dictated to me. They get to talk about things like what to see in Hamburg, or how holidays are celebrated in Iran. I have to talk about the electoral college.

Asking me to talk about election politics in German is like asking a first-grader to talk about evolution. I can just imagine my nephew Jaden, my closest first-grade relation, giving a presentation on this topic.
JJ, tell us about natural selection.
"No."
Come on, please? I know you know a lot about it. 
"Well, it's good."
Why is it good?
"Some animals, they are still alive and have babies. Some don't."
The end. Let's go play with Legos.

This is the level of eloquence I can achieve in advanced beginner German.

I've made some notes about how I can explain things like military spending and health insurance mandates in German. Considering that none of my classmates have more advanced German vocabularies than I do, I am trying to boil these ideas down to first grade words that we already know. They may not really care about the election anyway, and they won't laugh at me if I screw up. We have a lot of patience with each other. So I shouldn't worry about how to say 'economic stimulus' in German, right?

I will let you know how things go. Until then, take a lesson from a first grader and wear that sticker proudly on your shirt (or your forehead, or the back of your hand) today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.