Saturday, November 3, 2012

Weird German dairy products - part 1

Grocery shopping is a good allegory for our adapting to life in Germany. When we first got here, I spent at least an hour at a time walking the aisles, trying to read labels, wondering what things were. Then I figured out which things were most similar to foods I was used to, and just bought those. The next step was to try out just a few new German foods that looked tasty. Now I am tired of being clueless about what's on the shelves, and have decided to try out all of the strange dairy products that I see. So you get to be a witness to my weird German dairy product taste test and investigation. Here are some of the foods that I will sample:


The rating scale will go like this:
1. Taste: 0 = bleeeaaggh! 1= eeewww. 2 = hhrrmmmh. 3 = mmm hmmm. 4 = ooooh. 5 = yummmm!
 2. Would you have it again? 1= Not on my life  2 = Maybe, if the store was out of everything else 3 = possibly 4 = I would 5 = yes, every single day.

Part 1: Kefir and similar things

Before I eat/drink the kefir, I do a little research.
Kefir is a fermented milk product that comes from Russia originally. It's like yogurt, except it has yeast in addition to bacteria cultures in it. It's usually drinkable and can be plain or flavored. Apparently you can buy it in the U.S. too but I've never tried.

So I open up my tub of kefir and eat some. It's strawberry flavored, a little more tangy than yogurt, but not bad. It's a little like yogurt mixed with sour cream. Then I look at the label and realize I am eating cream-Kefir. It is 26% fat. So before negating all positive effects of my run this morning, I stop. I give the cream kefir a 3 on the taste scale and a 3 on the "would you have it again?" scale.

Next, the drinkable Kefir.
It comes in a big half liter tub, which will be a bad thing if I don't like it. And I don't. It tastes like buttermilk but thicker and more sour. It's not disgsuting, but it tastes like it's way past the expiration date. I give it a 1 on the taste scale and a  2 on the buy-ability scale. It's still in the fridge because I feel guilty about wasting it. Maybe if I mix it with some yogurt it would be better...

And finally, the drinkable yogurt. It's peach-passion fruit flavored. It's delicious. I'm cheating a little because I've had it a couple of times and knew I would like it, but after kefir I figured I deserve that. It gets a 4.5 on the taste scale and a 4 on the buy-ability scale. Who needs to make a smoothie when you can have a half-liter of this stuff?

That concludes part one of the investigation. Is life really so dull that I need to consume unfamiliar milk products and tell you about it? I prefer to think of it as cultural enrichment. (Go ahead and make your yogurt culture jokes now. You know you want to.)

Coming soon: Quark and milchreis.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent article. Germany produces very testy milk products. The world of grocery market foodstuffs is ever growing and ever impressive, as we discovered while studying these interesting and uncommon new foodstuffs on the market. Any one of these uncommon meals could be the next chopped up breads. What will they think of next? Take a look at these sweets, treats, and drinks, and find out. Germany produces all types of cheeses and dairy products. It including Hard Cheese, Soft Cheese, Fresh Cheese, etc. Now,the prices of Dairy products have increase by 20% due to the increase of Prices of Animal feed in America and farmers can get better prices. SWOT Analysis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.