Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dear Christmas Man...

It's snowing in Hannover. There are fluffy white flakes falling with their extra layer of quiet. I don't know if we'll have a white Christmas or not, but we are having a white Advent. Germany loves Advent. The clerks in stores and bakeries wish you a happy second Advent weekend and Advent wreaths are marked down to half-off at the flower shop on our street. Everyone has bought theirs already.

For Catholics, Advent is not a happy, sparkly, fun time. It's when you wear dark purple and sing dreary songs about waiting solemnly for Jesus. Germany's secular version of Advent, though, is about the Christmas market, or Weihnachtsmarkt. Each town in Germany has its own - clusters of wooden stalls selling crafts and gifts and candied almonds and sausages. It is the only German festival I can think of that has no role for beer. The main star of the market is Gluhwein - a hot, sweet, spiced red wine that you can buy with or without an additional shot of booze. There's also hot chocolate and apple cider, ditto on the extra shot.

We went to the market in Hannover with our crew of teacher friends on Friday night. Here are some photos:
Andrew and Katja



In the Finnish village part of the Hannover market, you can eat these little fried fish, head and tails included. There are also reindeer sandwiches and salmon smoking on wooden planks beside a big fire.


The Christmas market is a good place to buy gifts to send back home, things they wouldn't know to ask for. I usually don't ask for anything for Christmas, because that would make it way too easy for the gift buyer. I need to challenge their creativity, and I don't need more stuff. Any stuff I acquire will one day need to be packed up and moved somewhere else. But, when pressed, I did produce a list for my siblings of things I cannot buy for myself. It goes something like this:

An expat Christmas list
Dear Santa (Lieber Weihnachtsmann),
I have been very good this year. Please bring me vanilla extract, ranch dressing packets, hot sauce, chocolate chips, and snack size Ziploc bags. I hope that you can make it up all the stairs to our apartment, since we don't have a chimney. Maybe you could just park your sleigh on the balcony instead.
Love, Julia

St Nikolaus was already here. He came on Thursday to put chocolate in all the kids' shoes. In Germany, Santa Claus is the Weihnachtsmann, which means Christmas Man in German. I imagine him as sort of a Nordic superhero, flying by with a furry cape and a big W on his chest. He'd be the German version of this guy on the right, which means he'd have the W and wear a long scarf around his neck that would flap in the breeze.

Brian and I are excited about the snow. It beats all the rain we had this time last year that made me feel like wearing dark purple and being gloomy. Plus, we have Minnesota-worthy snow gear to wear. We even bought a Christmas tree yesterday and wheeled it home on a bike.

So have a Gluhwein and let it snow, Hannover. Happy second Advent Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.