Friday, December 6, 2013

Storm of the Century

In the land of punctuality, great health care, public safety, good roads, great transit and robust social programs, there are a very few things that make me feel superior as an American. But when northern Germany started to shut down yesterday as it prepared for the Storm of the Century, I rolled my eyes. When it comes to dealing with winter weather, the Germans are wimps.

The cause of the storm was Hurricane Xaver, which is a legitimate hurricane that developed over the North and Baltic Seas and caused some real damage in coastal areas. Yesterday in Hannover, we started to prepare for what was predicted to be the worst storm since 1962. There were predictions of gale-force winds, heavy snow and rain. After school activities were cancelled, travelers were advised to stay put, and weather warnings went out all over the media. In order to show you what I mean, and to make it sound funnier, I put this one into Google Translate:

Note to potential risks: There are widespread among other severe damage to buildings possible. Trees can be uprooted and fall down as tiles, branches or objects. Close all windows and doors! Secure outdoor objects! In particular, keep away from buildings, trees, scaffolding and high voltage lines. If possible, avoid outdoor living!

So then I started to think that maybe this was a big deal. As a Midwesterner, I am used to weather systems that involve arctic air hitting the gulf stream... this hurricane-related stuff is all new. Plus if there was rain that turned into freezing rain into ice, it could get dangerous out there. Some schools were already canceling Friday classes, which meant it must be serious.

And this morning, as I woke up to nothing but dry roads and a healthy breeze, I kicked myself (figuratively, that is). I had fallen for their scare tactics and their extreme caution. I was like the German who had to stay home from work because I'd sneezed twice in the same hour.  This is not a real winter storm, one where you can't open your door because of snow, when cars are stranded in the streets, when it's so cold your eyelids freeze together. The north Germans, who hardly even have thunderstorms, much less hurricanes and blizzards, had tricked me. They are an inherently careful and risk-averse people, even when it comes to the weather forecast.

Yes, the wind is blowing hard. I think the pigeons are staying in. And there's some drizzly rain and snow flurries too. Currently, 37 snow flakes have stuck to the ground in Hannover, based on my observations. Some sticks even blew off the trees by the swimming pool (which was delightfully un-crowded as I swam this morning, since so many people were staying home to be safe). In Hamburg, the fish market flooded. They even did the unthinkable there - they closed the Hamburg Christmas markets.

There's little that I can be really snobby about in a place where they do everything so well. For points of national/cultural pride I am basically left with a) toughing it out and going to work when you are a little sick, and b) dealing with severe weather. I guess I could also add c) striking up conversations with complete strangers and d) McDonald's, Hollywood, and Coca-Cola.

Rather than reflect on how pathetic that may be, let's be proud. And let's make fun of these people who don't know what a real storm is like. I just hope to get a tail wind as I bike home from school today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.