Thursday, May 8, 2014

Rome with Uncle Bud - day 1

We went to Rome last weekend...
I know. We were just in Belgium, then Wales, then a week off in Hannover, then 3 days of work before a holiday weekend. Life in Europe is pretty good in the Spring. And you can't make me feel guilty about it. So there.

Rome was never on our list of must-see destinations. Neither is Paris or Vienna or Euro Disney. We went to Rome because my great uncle (with a real name of Br. Martin, but called Uncle Bud by my family since way before I was born) is there for a few months and it was a good chance to visit.

Uncle Bud is a Christian Brother. That means he has taken vows but is not quite a priest and not quite a monk. He joined the brothers as a young man and has lived, worked and taught in many places around the world. This year he is working as an interpreter in the Brothers' conference in Rome, as he has every seven years for the last few decades. On our first day in Rome, Uncle Bud gave us a tour of the Casa La Salle, the main residence and headquarters of the Brothers worldwide. We saw the chapel, the meeting rooms, the interpreting booth, the dining room, Uncle Bud's room (considerably larger than the hotel room I had booked online) and climbed up to the rooftop.


From the roof of Casa LaSalle

Then, despite telling us that he doesn't get around on foot as well as he used to, Uncle Bud took us on a wandering tour of the Spanish Steps, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. We navigated through crowds and turned down Bangladeshi men selling sunglasses and flowers and squeaky toys. We dodged hordes of tourists, mostly Italian ones, and window shopped at Gucci and Valentino and Prada. We ate huge cups of Gelato.
From the top of the Spanish Steps


In Rome's old city


It's odd to be in a city crowded with tourists. We've had a series of off-peak trips that has left us exploring largely on our own. Now we were a few in a horde of map-carrying, guidebook-reading holiday travelers.
At the Pantheon
Are Brian and I travel snobs? Do we groan at the thought of visiting another church, another museum, waiting in another line? Not quite. And if that ever happens please smack me.
Brian and I have just figured out what we like to see when we travel... you'll read more about that in the next post or two. And it does not involve Euro Disney or squeaky toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.