Saturday, May 24, 2014

The speech part 3, or smoking and Chinese food

During my speech in German class I got a few off-the-topic questions, mostly related to alcohol and tobacco -

Is it true that you have to be 21 to drink and smoke in the U.S.?

Is it true that you can't smoke indoors in the U.S.?

Is it true that you can't drink on the street in the U.S.?

I guess my classmates are a little preoccupied.

Then on the way out, Elena stopped me to ask another question. Elena is a cellist from St. Petersburg, Russia. She is probably the smartest person in our class, but asked what was perhaps the most ignorant question I had heard all day.
"Is it true," she asked "that in America there are bars full of only black people, where white people are not allowed to go?"
"No, of course not," I told her, "but if you are the only white person in the bar, people might look at you funny when you walk in."

Then she went on to talk about how she once traveled to Atlanta with her orchestra for a performance. She talked about how many black people she saw and how scary that was. Then she talked about how wide the highways were and how strange the food was. She couldn't eat it. The whole orchestra ate only Chinese food the whole time they were in Atlanta. I guess they didn't like Southern cooking. 

Here in Germany, where most people we know are very well-traveled and speak a handful of languages, it's easy to feel like Americans are the only insulated ones. Europeans are amazed at how many Americans never leave the country.  So I took an odd satisfaction in hearing Elena's comments about the U.S. It made me feel like she'd be the kind of person to ask loudly how much something cost in "real money" and get angry about not being able to smoke indoors.

You can't smoke indoors in Germany either, so I don't understand why that was such an important question to ask. But what do I know, I am just an insensitive American.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.