Thursday, September 4, 2014

Cocoons and current events

It's a little cliché to say that the only news in the papers or on TV is bad news. But I can't help feeling like right now, there are more awful, sad, painful things going on in the world than usual. Syria, Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Ukraine, ebola in West Africa, not to mention violence in Somalia, Libya, St. Louis... and those are just the ones that make headlines. On top of that, a handful of young and healthy people I know are dealing with life-threatening illnesses.

It's enough to make you crawl under the bed and stay there. Unfortunately, our Ikea bed frame is way too low to the ground. I would not fit. The Swedes that design those things think of everything. I can't hide in the closet either. German apartments don't have any. 

Since my efforts at hiding from the world thwarted by European engineering, I have to consider my options. I could disconnect the internet, but that would just be crazy. I could pretend to be an ostrich and stick my head in the sand, but I would find sand in my ears for months. Or I could just keep informed and hope for better times.

I'm working on a craft project now that has nothing to do with world events or genocides or epidemics. But it maybe it's a sign of better things to come.



A certain young friend of ours will be turning one year old in a couple of weeks. Over the summer I was inspired to make her something. I started small, but like its very hungry relative, this caterpillar just grew and grew and grew.

When the time is right or when things get scary, the caterpillar hides in its cocoon, which is much more cozy that sticking your head in the sand. And as every young reader knows, he comes out bolder and brighter than ever, then flies away. Is that cliché? Sure it is. I don't care. I like it anyway.

Yes, there are bad things happening. Is it enough to make you stop reading the news? Almost.
But even ostriches can only put their heads in the sand for so long. I imagine it makes them sneeze after a while.  So I'll keep reading the in case there's some good news to be found (and in order to keep up with my current events expert of a husband). But I might need to take a break from it once in a while, and hide. I wonder if Ikea has some kind of furniture designed for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.