Monday, September 22, 2014

What Germans and iguanas have in common

Last week we had a few warm days here in Germany. You could call it Indian Summer even, except there were never any Native Americans here, and the Hannover Indians hockey team doesn't count. With the sun shining and soft summery breezes blowing, you'd think that everyone would pull out their flip flops to enjoy those last, precious, warm days. Not the Germans. They leave the house in scarves and jackets, with a sweater or two underneath. If it gets really toasty, a German might remove one scarf.

German people seem to have a lower inner temperature than the rest of us, like reptiles. An iguana solves this issue by basking in the sun on a rock. A German handles it by wearing a lot of clothes.

I am not the only one who noticed. My Polish friend Kaska, after living in Germany for 17 years, still thinks it's weird. So we decided to take some photos of these crazy Germans, in an anthropological sort of way. Keep in mind it was about 74 degrees Farenheit and we were in summer dresses.

Black leather jackets for Indian Summer

She has daringly removed one layer

The man in khaki

Wouldn't want to take off that suit coat

You'd think that teenage guys would be the first to wear shorts...

Does over-dressing have something to do with the psychology of German culture? Brian has a very strong theory - the Germans remember how their army invaded Russia in 1941 for what was supposed to be a short-term siege. They wore summer uniforms. And look how that turned out. You can't blame Germans for wanting to avoid freezing to death in the future, even on a summery day in Hannover.

Or maybe they really are part iguana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.