Sunday, January 3, 2016

Minnesota recertification

Our days in Vuokatti mostly went like this:
Sleep until 9 or so, when the sun comes up. Eat breakfast.
Dress in about 5 layers of clothing, hats, boots and mittens. Go out skiing or hiking.
Eat lunch. Repeat skiing or hiking. Maybe go to the grocery store.
Sit in the sauna, take a shower at about sundown, which is at 3pm.
Make a fire and sit in the cabin - Brian watching bowl games and me reading. Make dinner at some point. Read. Go to bed.






That was about it. Our trip was almost honeymoon-like. Plus we got to eat reindeer hot dogs, which very few couples I know can do on their honeymoons.

The skiiers I saw on the course amazed me. Five years ago, I would have called myself an intermediate-level skiier. But once I got on the trails in Vuokatti, Nordic grandmas whooshed by me, followed by their three-year-old Nordic grandkids in snowsuits. I had to work to stay out of their way. After a couple of days, I lost some of my fear of going downhill and my legs were steadier. Then only the five-year-olds passed me by.

This Finland trip was our first real taste of winter since we moved to Germany, except for a week in Chicagoland 2 years ago. We had to remember how to dress, how it feels to have your hair freeze, how to walk down a hill in the snow, how to cross country ski. It was like a re-certification exam to make sure we are still qualified to call ourselves Minnesotans. Challenge accepted. We didn't get a perfect score, but I think we passed.


 And we found the winter wonderland we'd all been singing about before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.