Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Resolutions and stuff I wanna do

I had my ninth grade Spanish class work on an assignment about new year's resolutions (propositos del año nuevo).

It's a funny word we use in English - resolution. It's so serious, so formal, so not a word we use in everyday conversation. Maybe using that word helps us tell ourselves that this is something really important, something to be serious about. Maybe the timing is arbitrary; it would make more sense to do so on your birthday . There is something, though, about taking down the Christmas tree and looking out at the cold gray skies that makes you want to do something newer, better, more hopeful. Maybe January resolutions give us the kick start that we need after the full-bellied lull of Christmas time.

The Spanish assignment was a little pessimistic... or realistic I guess. I had the students look at an infographic whose point was that something like 15% of our intentions to become better people are fulfilled. 85% of us quit.

The word I prefer is intention, aspiration, plans, commitments... This year I have a lot of them. They are scribbled in the little notebooks that I tend to leave lying around my apartment. What are they? you ask. I want to make Play Global grow and make my role in it more of a real job. I want to save money and sew more and organize my email inbox, organize my desk and cook new recipes and practice speaking more German, more fearlessly. I also decided to finally be a grown up and join (gasp) LinkedIn.

Will I be in the 85% or the 15%? I'd say having so many resolutions reduces my chances - at completing all of them. It also increases my chances - I'll probably do at least one. So maybe I'm hedging my bets. Would it sound better if I were ensuring my various options remain available? Then that's what I'm doing... at least until early February.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.