Saturday, September 10, 2011

Our neighborhood

The neighborhood where we live in Hannover is call Sudstadt (South city).  It's a more urban setting than we've lived in before and we are really liking it.  There are two groceries stores in walking distance, as well as restaurants, at least three bakeries, a dry cleaners and two bike shops.  Across the street is an Indian restaurant , where we have gotten friendly with the owner and convinced him to make our food more spicy than they make it for the Germans. Brian found a cigar store to visit regularly and is on good terms with the owner.  This is important because we mailed the humidor from St Paul a month ago and it somehow never arrived here and is probably being enjoyed by a customs agent somewhere. There's a tram stop (subway system) just two blocks away that will get us pretty much anywhere in the metropolitan area, at any time of day. And it's a 10 minute bike ride or 25 minute walk to Brian's school.  So we are in a great spot!

The landlady is supposed to be coming by today. We have never met her and are not sure if she speaks any English. Maybe I will try my very basic German on her (something like "Guten Tag, Danke, Tschuss). Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.