Monday, June 25, 2012

Top experiences

These aren't moments, they are not trips, they are more... lessons? That sounds cheezy. Adjustments? true, but that sounds like something you get at the chiropractor. We'll go with experiences.

1. No car. I really don't miss it. I love getting around by foot, and bike, and bus, and tram, and train. I love that a lot of other people here do the same thing. Once in a while it's inconvenient -  I have to grocery shop more often and in smaller quantities, because I know that whatever I buy has to be hauled home and then up four flights.  I haven't signed up for as many triathlons as I might have, because I can't figure out the logistics of getting out to the course all of my gear. But I don't miss traffic, finding a place to park, gas prices, oil changes, or insurance bills. I am never the designated driver.

2.Good friends, new friends. We've met some fantastic people here, and more quickly than I'd expected. They are from the US, the UK, Poland, Australia, Germany, and probably a few places I forgot. From my desperate housewives lunches to Brian's solving the world's problems at the biergarten, we've had some great times.

3. Starting over. We had it figured out in St Paul - jobs, house, cars, etc. And we came here to start from scratch. Much of what I write about in the blog concerns how we are adjusting and the funny things that happen as I figure it all out. Little things like haircuts and dry cleaners become much bigger challenges in a new place. I feel like learning my way around and learning another language has opened up some new brain pathways. I am not sure its made me smarter but it may have cleared out a few cobwebs and delayed my becoming senile by a couple of years. I have become much more comfortable with being uncomfortable. Today I tried to explain to a repair man in toddler-level German how our water heater sometimes cuts out mid-shower. I've gone through my first dentist and doctor appointments in a foreign country and lived to tell about it. Sometimes I give up and ask "Do you speak English? I'm a dumb foreigner" or something to that effect. It's humbling, but I'm ok with that now. I've learned that smiling and hand gestures are key, though blank stares also get your point across..

4. Travel. I don't know if the amazement will ever wear off, but I love the fact that we can hop on train start a vacation, or go to another country for the weekend.  Moving here has given us the chance not just to experience Hannover but to see all of Germany and so many other places. So far we've gone to Ireland, Egypt, the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia, as well as a few spots around Germany.  The list of places to see keeps getting longer. Travel is habit-forming.

Those are the top experiences so far... or whatever you want to call them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.