Friday, June 8, 2012

Track, soccer, and KGB

Yesterday was secondary school sports day at the international school.You may have read about the Primolympics for the little ones. Sports day is an intramural track meet for the bigger ones. When the call for workers went out a couple of months ago, I offered to help and ended up planning much of it. Funny how that happens. I can skip the continent and still have to put kids in lanes for the 200.

The day went pretty well.
Here are the plusses:
The weather was great, better than it had been for the last couple of weeks.
Things went fairly smoothly and all the kids had fun.

The minuses:
The whole event was coordinated by the very nice but less-than-organized Canadian head of PE which made the whole even less-than-organized too. We had scratch outs and add ins and we were short on stop watches and had a little of what I truly dread at track meets - dead time with nothing going on.

It was the only meet I've been to where the concession stand sold french fries and bratwurst. That didn't stop some of the 9th graders from getting a pizza delivered too.

As a reward for our hard work, some of the staff headed to the biergarten after the meet.Yesterday was the opening day of the European soccer championships, Greece vs. Poland, which is the country hosting the tournament. Our friend Tom came down from Hamburg to hang out and the rain held off. As the start of the game approached (what's the right word? kickoff? I am clueless about soccer), hordes of Polska fans poured into the biergarten dressed in red and white. There are a lot of Polish people in the Hannover area, and not a lot of Greeks. There were maybe four Greece fans timidly waving their blue and white flags. And the game ended in... a tie. How anti-climactic. So the Greek fans can go home with their pride intact and the Poland fans won't start any riots. And everyone is sort of somewhat satisfied.

The evening ended at an odd Russian place called KGB with awful service and delicious pelmeni. It was a lot better than french fries and bratwurst.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.