Friday, June 15, 2012

The tops... introduction

We are wrapping up our first year as expatriates in Hannover. It's making both Brian and I a little reflective, looking back on everything that has happened since we got on the plane August 9th.
It's sort of like our own little New Year.

As you know from the blog, there have been a lot of highs and lows this year, and when I feel baffled, embarrassed, frustrated, or confused. It's easy to blame it all on Germany. Maybe Germany is out to get me sometimes, but when we had bad days back home we never blalmed it on the United States, or the Midwest, or the Twin Cities. It was just life.

As much as we are excited to go home for the summer to be among familiar people and familiar things, it's time to reflect on some of the great experiences we've had over the past year. I can't take credit for this idea, this burst of optimism is entirely Brian's. He's the ideas guy; I just make it happen.

So I am going to write a few posts about what I consider the top things from the past year. "Things" is deliberately vague because I have not completely decided what my themes will be. I'm looking forward to figuring that out with all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.