Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ireland trip - first two days

We are here in Ireland now, enjoying our trip to the southwest. We rented a car and drove about an hour outside of Dublin, spending Friday night in Port Laoise, in a hotel that was sort of like the Irish version of Comfort Inn. We were so tired it seemed wonderful to us.

 Luckily Brian is driving. But don't tell Enterprise rent-a-car because, in our flurry to get out the door as and deal with the movers on Friday, I didn't pack Brian's wallet. I had the cash and credit card, so the only useful thing in it was his drivers license. So the car is rented under my name, even though I can't drive stick shift and am terrified of driving on the left.

Yesterday we checked out the Rock of Dunamaise on our way toward County Kerry. We got lost a few times but made it there. It's an old ruined castle from the 1100s. The cool thing about being here in the off-season was that we were the only ones up there. You could see all the countryside below and the wind just about blew us down the hill. I will post some pictures next week for you to see.

Then we drove on to Dingle. It's a cool town on the coast - right on Dingle Bay. Yesterday was our 6th wedding anniversary, so we had a really nice dinner to celebrate and went out to a couple of pubs afterward. We are still recovering from the night out and it's pouring rain, so we are laying low in preparation for some live music tonight and a sightseeing bike ride tomorrow. We splurged a little on the hotel here, and it's really worth it.

Being in Ireland is a great English-speaking break for us. I am really excited to ask directions when we get lost driving (only twice so far) because they understand me, and we can watch so many channels on TV! It's a little like home too - people are friendly and you get free water at restaurants. And of course it's really pretty, they pour good Guinness, and people have cooler accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.